• No new messages
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By hitagicrab
  • 1 Post By hitagicrab

Thread: The Visual Novel Recommendation Thread

Default The Visual Novel Recommendation Thread

DRAG | Dat Random Azn Guy

Welcome to the VN Recommendation Thread. Want to find out the next game you're playing after you finished your current VN? Want to make a recommendation about a VN because you found it very interesting? Can't decide what to play so you're looking for VNs that suit you genre-wise? Then you're in the right thread!

There are many ways to ask for a title. You can get as specific as you get. Ask for VNs from a specific production company. Ask for VNs that are similar to another VN's art (you can post a pic for comparison, but do abide by the rules). You can also ask for VNs that fit your genre (action? harem? reverse harem? ADV? No H?). If you feel adventurous, you could just ask for a random VN and hopefully, get a random VN from someone!

If you feel like recommending VNs even without anyone asking, you may do that as well.

Tips:

- To help a person looking for recommendations, I encourage you to post a link of the recommended VN from vndb. That way, the person can gather a lot of information about the VN you're recommending and hopefully avoiding unnecessary replies like "Do you have more info?" or "Can you give me a link to the vn please?".

- Please don't bash a person for his recommendation, no matter how bad you think the VN is. Likewise, don't bash a person looking for recommended VNs for turning down your recommendation. Keep in mind that people have different tastes, so if someone doesn't like what you're recommending, simply walk away or post another suggestion. People who turn down recommendations should also follow suit and just ask for another recommendation.

- Use quotes if you want to recommend the VN to that particular request.

- As much as possible, do not spam in this thread. That means no flamebaits, no flamewars, no one-word replies, etc.

--------------

List of Given Recommendations:

by Arawn-sama: #1, #2

Last edited by hitagicrab; 11-26-2013 at 01:08 PM.

37 Re: The Visual Novel Recommendation Thread

Ixion

[BaseSon]Koihime † Musou ~Doki ☆ Otome Darake no Sangokushi Engi~

Description:

Timeslip!? Kazuto went out to catch a thief that had broken into the local Chinese history museum late one night.

But after a sudden confrontation with the thief, he finds himself absorbed in a white light only to awaken in a wasteland. What's happened!? He is surrounded by three bandits. They try and steal his school uniform, but when he refuses to let them take it they attack. Just when he thinks he is about to be killed, a girl appears in front of him.

She attacks the bandits with a spear of some kind and forces them to flee. "My name is Kan'u, My Lord. As the Messenger from Heaven please stand with me to help bring peace to this country at war."

http://vndb.org/v369

So far the best VN i've played so far,the story is interesting,aside from the story part this game has a battle system where before each battle you need to select a strategist and a leader,setting how many light and heavy infanrty and archers should your army contain.

On the battlefield you need to find the best formation to defeat your enemy,use both your army and leaders to the maximum efficiency out,cause your enemies won't go easy on you.

If you're fan of japanese history and battle formations,not to mention the funny moments this novel has,than this beatuy is for you. Only this one has been translated to english,the other two novel is on japanese language.

Default Re: The Visual Novel Recommendation Thread

Ifrit

- I'm looking for translated visual novels that have mythological races like fairies, catgirls, elves, mermaids, demons etc.

- Do not want extreme rape, tentacles, bukkake, mind breaking, hybrid genders, gore, vore, etc.

- Some gameplay is preferred but not required

- Prefer a happy ending (multiple endings that can be bad or good are fine too)

Any recommendations? :)

Last edited by Gale Storm; 11-20-2013 at 08:41 AM.

I was gonna suggest Monmosu until I saw your 2nd criteria. :x

If I find anything, I'll let you know.

Now that I think about it, Rewrite kinda follows your reqs.

- It has familiars (summoned beings) that's either in the form of oversized wolves, dragons, dinosaurs, and it has fairies/pixies.

- No H-scenes, so no worries about the dark parts.

- It has both happy and sad endings.

- There is a hidden route that can be uncovered when you complete items in the game and you do need to find them (incorporating a find-it-to-unlock-it game).

Last edited by hitagicrab; 11-20-2013 at 12:17 PM.
    Gale Storm likes this.

20 Re: The Visual Novel Recommendation Thread

Ixion

[Pulltop] Princess Waltz

Description:

The Princess Waltz - a dance of whirling blades held to find the princess worthy of becoming queen of Seven Central in the fantasy world of Eldelant. Hopeful candidates travel from all the kingdoms of Eldelant to take part in the waltz, but only one princess will reign supreme...

You are Fukamori Arata, and you know nothing of princesses or waltzes. In fact, your daily life in modern Japan couldn't be any more ordinary - you live with your mother and sister, are woken daily by your childhood friend to go to school, and live a generally full but normal life surrounded by a gang of rowdy classmates. When rumors start circulating about a transfer student to your class, you don't pay much attention - princes from foreign lands don't study abroad here in this day and age, do they?

When Chris Northfield arrives, it seems the rumors might be true. What is an impossibly refined, polite and accomplished young man like him doing at your school? Your curiosity gets the better of you, but as you investigate you begin to realize you're getting into something deeper than you ever imagined...

http://vndb.org/v156

Another one of my favorites,interesting story telling with a twist you won't believe. This game has also a battle system,but here you battle with cards.Quite the interesting way to have battles.

The game has been translated to english by Peach Princess.

^Interesting. It's made by Pulltop (Kono Oozora). I'll probably try it someday, too.

Arawn-sama likes this.

Ixion

Well if you do try let me tell you something.I've encountered a small problem in one of the chapters,i don't know excatly when but in one the chapters during a conversation the game suddenly crashed and it didn't mattered that i've tried it again loading an earlier save it crashed at the same point.

So after looking quite for a while i've manged to dwnload a save file wich was saved after the crashpoint,by loading that the game didn't crashed anymore,i've did missed some of the conversation,but i don't think it was too much. So if you play the game and encounter the same problem,i can send you that save file,just let me know.

Ixion

Is it just me or the folks here kinda disappeared?

Gold Rush

[Akabeisoft2] Sharin no Kuni, Himawari no Shoujo

4057.jpg

vndb link

In a not so distant place.

There exists a society where law is based upon deterrence and criminals are assigned "obligations" fitting for their crimes.

Within this society, a man named Morita Kenichi aspires to the position of Special High Class Individual, one who holds authority over said criminals.

For the purpose of fulfilling his ambition, Kenichi returns to the town he once called home. There he will encounter three girls bearing "obligations" and there he will encounters the past he left behind.

Won't you join him in this story about how people relate to their society?

In this story about how a society relates to its people.

In this story about the girl amid the sunflowers growing in the country spinning like a wheel.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Unlike what Arawn recommended, this one has no gameplay at all; still, it's one of my top five visual novels ever played mainly because of the story and characters. A mix of drama, comedy, action and romance, Sharin no Kuni does well in mixing all them elements and as a result, turned into a masterpiece.

The novel revolves around a man named Morita Kenichi, a cadet who aspires to become a Special High Class Individual. He's more than enough reason for you to play the game and is one of the most BAMF protaganist I've ever seen. Arrogant yet skilled. Funny yet smart. He's not the common protagonist I tell ya. He's not a weakling and he's not air-headed either. He's just plain awesome.

For those whose in the hunt for a VN with a really good story and characters, this is it.

Ixion

Well well,welcome on board Jo^^.

Ixion

[Alice Soft] Sengoku Rance

Description:

The story takes place during the 4th Sengoku (warring states) era of Japan, an area of the Rance World which parodies medieval real-world Japan.

Sengoku Rance picks up where Rance 6 left off. Rance, after saving the nation of Zeth from destruction, ran away so he won't have to marry the princess. He and Sill ended up in Japan for a hotspring trip, upsetting the power balance of Japan, and sets the unification of its provinces in motion. Meanwhile, an ancient evil power stirs from its slumber...

Meet the alternate reality versions of Oda Nobunaga, Uesugi Kenshin, Takeda Shingen, Tokugawa Ieyasu, Mori Motonari, One Eyed Masamune, Hojo Soun, Sakamoto Ryouma, Yamamoto Isoroku, Saint Francis Xavier, and many more famous Japanese historical figures in the world of Rance!

http://vndb.org/v487

Another one of my favorites,it has so much fun moments thanks to Rance,who causing trouble when he just can.
    The game has a unique fighting system plus with a patch you can play it on English.

Ifrit

I've heard some bad things about Rance. Is it niche?

Ixion

Well,i have no clue what bad things you've heard about Rance,but i've enjoyed every minute of it.It's a great game.

Ifrit

Well, what I heard, was that it was a game about brutally raping women (which isn't my thing). Any merit to that claim?

Ixion

Those are actually true,Rance is that type who likes to do that kinda things.

Unknown

I just played the route of Nontan as a neko youkai in Ayakashi no gohan.
    I really enjoyed the game and of course, Nontan's adorable cat voice so I want to recommend this game.
    It's coming out soon on PS Vita and its sequel this year too.
    Give it a try if you like cute youkai.